Gropius Bau is looking for a Deputy Director for Curatorial Affairs to start as soon as possible. This position is initially on a fixed-term basis until 30.11.2025, with the option to extend.
Your tasks – Shaping, contributing, participating
Implement and realize the curatorial vision of Gropius Bau in close collaboration with the director. This includes:
- Representing the institution internally and externally
- Managing the curatorial team
- Supporting the development of the overall program
- Conceiving, planning, and realizing exhibitions and live programs in line with the vision of the institution
- Closely collaborating with and supporting artists to produce works as well as realize their curatorial projects
- Curating projects in close cooperation with artists
- Initiating and overseeing publication projects
- Steering interdepartmental projects and initiatives
- Actively introducing diversity, equity, inclusion, and access initiatives to the program and organizational structures
- Managing and supervising project budgets
- Participating in the application and administration of grants
- Initiating and coordinating strategic partnerships
- Managing internal organizational processes (internal communication, meetings, presentations, templates, reports, etc.)
- Liaising between the management of KBB, Berliner Festspiele, and Gropius Bau
- Managing hiring processes
Our requirements – What you bring with you
- A university degree in curatorial studies, cultural studies, art history, or German studies - Completed academic university studies in: Curatorial Studies, Cultural Studies, Art History, German Studies or other Humanities, Visual Arts, Performance, Music, or similar.
- An active interest in current contemporary art discourse and knowledge of non-profit cultural institutions
- Deep relationships with contemporary artists
- Several years of experience conceiving and realizing projects for artistic and cultural institutions in Germany and/or international contexts
- A strong understanding of issues relating to diversity, inclusion, and anti-discrimination is essential; theoretical knowledge as well as practical application of current discourses about diversity and inclusion in relation to exhibitions/arts education and team management/organizational development are desirable; good knowledge of simple and inclusive language is an advantage; an understanding of your own position in the work context is also advantageous
- A highly structured and proactive approach to work, as well as very good communication skills
- Excellent spoken and written German and English (level C2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages)
- Competent use of MS Office
Welcome aboard – What we offer
- We offer a varied range of responsibilities with a high degree of personal autonomy. Our innovative institutional culture with flat hierarchies and quick decision-making provides plenty of creative opportunities as well as optimal conditions for your professional and personal development. Our ambitious mission statement forms the basis of our positive working environment. Our work is characterized by the careful management of resources.
- Salary in accordance with TVöD Bund (E13)
- 39-hour work week
- Supplementary pension scheme (VBL), depending on your contract
- Flexible working hours, with remote work possible by arrangement
- We support the health and development of our employees through events, seminars, and continued training
- 30 days of holiday per year based on a 5-day week
- Annual bonus
- Additional days off for Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve
- Discounted tickets for programs organized by KBB GmbH
- Discounted season tickets for local public transport
KBB champions diversity and inclusion in our teams. The different perspectives and experiences of our employees ensure the creativity, innovation and success of our international cultural work. KBB is guided by an understanding of diversity that is based on anti-discrimination, which is why we welcome applications from anyone who fulfills the employment requirements. Where candidates are equally qualified, special consideration will be given to applicants with a severe disability.
Don’t meet every single desired requirement? If you are interested in this role, but your previous experience does not quite fulfill all the criteria, we would like to encourage you to apply anyway. You could still be the perfect candidate for this position.
Unfortunately, not all the workplaces for this position are currently accessible. However, we would be happy to find the best possible solution based on the successful candidate’s individual needs. Please contact us if necessary so that we can explore the options together. For more information, please contact the KBB human resources department (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the disabled persons’ representative (email@example.com).
All application documents received will be deleted after a maximum period of six months. Interviews are expected to take place in December. These will have a structured format to allow us to compare candidates.
If you have any questions regarding the role, please contact Kirsten Einfeldt at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit your completed application (cover letter, CV, certificates, references if applicable) by 26 November 2023 via the Apply Online button only. Further information can be found at www.kbb.eu.